Another World Cup is just around the corner, the 2nd since DADS v DADS got started and with it, the memories of previous world cups come flooding back. It was great watching the world cup as a kid, you couldn’t escape the buzz and excitement that followed every game, and with just 4 or 5 channels to choose from someone wanting to watch something else had no chance. To celebrate the start of the tournament here are five facts about the World Cup that you may not know :
1. 3.5 billion people, almost half the population of the planet, tuned in to watch the 2018 world cup!
2. The winner of the tournament takes home $42m dollars, compare that to the $10m in 2006 for the winners! If you go all the way and lose in the final the runners-up have to make do with only $32 million dollars. Going out at the group stage means taking home $9m.
3. Just one country will are make it’s world cup debut, Qatar, well done for qualifying Qatar 🤣.
4. The only country that has played in every tournament is Brazil, they will make their 22nd consecutive appearance.
5. Roger Milla is the oldest goal scorer in world cup history, scoring for Cameroon against Russia in 1994 at 42.
6. The oldest player in 2022 is likely to be Eiji Kawishima of Japan who will be 39 years and 8 months. The oldest world cup player ever has was Egypts, Essam El Hadary who played in 2018. That’s a bit of inspiration for all us old guys who think we’re past it.
7. Only eight different countries have won the world cup and 6 of 22 world cups have been won by the host nation, it would be a surprise if that happened again this year.
Which team will be next ? England or Wales would do maybe ??
Hopefully seeing the best players in the world battle it out for a month will inspire us all to get out and play football this winter 👍, make sure to KEEP PLAYING AT YOUR DADSVDADS match night. We try and make it competitive but without the aggression that often follows football around. Run by dads for dads to KEEP US ALL PLAYING.